Monday, April 02, 2007

Shacks & Kids



Biked a slow 18 km on Saturday. It took nearly two hours; I had a cold and stopped several times to talk to the Anhui people and a few kids. The old shacks were now mostly taken down; one of men (left in pic) I used to talk to happened to be there to drop of a propane tank. He quit his labour job (earned less than RMB 1000 per month, or $130) and now delivers these tanks to earn a bit more. He shared that most of the old neighbours have moved into better housing, but his rent is now RMB 500 per month, while the old shacks were practically nothing.


2 comments:

Warren said...

Hey Evert - love your blog man! So you've become a cycling fanatic - that's great, you are an inspiration (I desperately need a fitness-related hobby!). Your photos and observations are very good - glad to see your social conscience still very much in evidence. This is a perspective on ever-changing China not many foreigners will ever see.

Hey, what GPS are you using? I've got an Etrex Vista but am looking to upgrade. It is pretty cool how customized maps can be created now in Google Earth. I want to get more into this myself...

I was interested in your hidden Singapore blog entry - been there many times, but didn't know there were such "natural" corners. I think you need to get down to Phnom Penh here for some cycle explorations - I'll join you, and no problem renting a good bike! Greetings to the family! Warren

The Bowman Blog said...

Hey Evert,

Just checked out your blog. Very cool. It'd be fun to bike with you sometime. I gotta get a bike though. I hooked up a link to your blog on ours. Hope you don't mind.

Ryan Bowman (an usher at AGIF)