Sunday, December 03, 2006

Moving on...

No, not me, but the villagers you see in the pics here. I had been through this small village of farm houses and shacks before, but this time it had become quite inaccessible as the main dirt road coming from the north was in bad shape after 10 days of incessant rain. One villager on a motorbike even waived his finger, warning me to turn around. However, riding a mountainbike and being curious about how far the new highway and bridge had encroached on their land, I continued.
When I stopped to respond to a small child and his mother who encouraged him to say hello to me, I was soon surrounded by 25-plus villagers, who were mostly from Anhui province. These friendly people pointed to my biker shorts and my dirty bike. That's what biking is all about, I explained to them. During our 20 minute chat they explained that by next year June all of them will have to move on. Where, they are not sure, as they are not Shanghai residents. These people give up a lot to get out of the cycle of provincial poverty and find a better life in the prosperous big city.





Some homes have been vacated already. On the right, the bridge is nearly completed.

2 comments:

Nocturne said...

The villagers are chinese,right?
I think this is a

好漂亮的Blog!
I like it very much.

Anonymous said...

HI Ev:

Just took a look at your blog site. Nice job of the pictures kind of handy using google earth to track your adventures. I didn't realize that the weather was still so nice there in November. We have just come through a week of -20 to -30C. Sounds like you're keeping fit which is more than I can say for myself. Just coaching Niko's soccer team we are 6-0 so far.